Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Seongsan High School


This will be my school... MY SCHOOL... ALL FOR MEEEEE!!! Well, not really, but I will be the only English teacher in the building...

So how do I know this you ask? Because I came home from work the other day to a Facebook message from the girl that I will be replacing when I get to Daegu! I was so exhausted from the past two days of work (bartending for Buffalo Wild Wings on a UFC fight night and on Super Bowl Sunday)... after work, we went out for some celebratory drinks (because Super Bowl was my last day)... then I get home at like 3:30am and decide to check my email... and BAM an email from my NET (Native English Teacher)... she seems really nice and started telling me about my school and my apartment.... so here is what I found out...


  • I will be teaching High School. 
  • Some classes will be all boys, some will be all girls, some will be mixed.
  • I have an "English Zone" on the top (4th) floor of my school with my own desk and computer. It is brand new, so it has a smart board, nice desks for the students, and a podium computer as well. 
  • Classes begin at 8:30 and end at 4:10 (I have to be there around 8-8:10 though), Monday through Friday
  • I'll have a mixed level of low to high level students, so I'll need to lesson plan for somewhere in the middle
  • I'll be teaching anywhere between 18-22 classes per week per semester. Classes are 50 minutes long, with a 10 minute break in between.
  • I'll be seeing all 12 of the "first graders" which are the freshman and half of the "second graders" (the sophomores (classes 1-7 in the spring, classes 8-12 in the fall). Each class I teach once per week, meaning I teach one of my lessons 12 times a week, the other about 8 times per week.
  • My classes will range from 35-40ish students (wow). They are also in other English classes with Korean teachers during their normal school day, so my class is pretty much a supplementary speaking and conversation class. My class will follow the coursebook that the students use during their normal classes (this is also why it is OK to have only half of the second graders- they are learning the entire semester, and the fall semester we will just pick up where we left off!)
  • I teach an average of 3-5 classes a day (there are 7 periods total). I saw a picture of her schedule for one semester, one day she only taught 2 classes, another she taught 6! 
  • I oversee the newspaper club and a teacher conversation class. The newspaper club is comprised of about 22 top level first and second grade students (all with very high English skills). The conversation class is offered, teachers then sign up, and they tend to forget about coming as the year goes on. 
  • I have 6 co-teachers, one being my main co-teacher, or "handler". My handler is responsible for picking me up, introducing me to my school and apartment, helping me set things up, and making sure I'm doing OK. The other 5 are teachers that are in the classroom with me during my classes, but aren't "responsible" for me.
  • My apartment is a 7 minute walk to school, which is awesome. It is about 10 minutes from a main bus station and 30 minutes from the closest subway station though. However you can take a cab to the subway or take the bus part of the way, both options would be pretty cheap I believe. 
  • My apartment is on the 3rd floor, but not too big. It is in an older building, but has a new AC unit (yay!). It is a studio type apartment, you walk in the front door and you are standing in the one room that has your armoire, bed and sitting area (I think it is too small for a couch). The bathroom is off to the right, which has a door to close, and the kitchen is also off to the right with sliding doors to close it off as well. In the kitchen is a small sink, table top stove and a mini fridge. It also has some cabinets and my washing machine for clothes. 
  • My landlord is also the school grounds caretaker, so if I ever need anything I can talk to him there. He speaks a little English and is apparently really nice.
  • My NET is leaving me some things for the apartment too: dishes, silverware, cups, toaster, french press coffee maker, Brita filter pitcher, pillows, bedding, a lamp and 2 rugs. How nice!

She has given me great advice on how to handle the students and the co-teachers too, which I think is wonderful. She is also giving me advice on how to get in good with everyone (how to address the principal, eating lunches, etc) and trying to prepare me for being center of attention (they ask you all kinds of questions all the time and just drop in to say hello and see what you are doing A LOT). She has been wonderful so far, answering all of my questions and actually explaining things (you should see how long some of her messages are, which is WONDERFUL- it isn't some 3 word response).

When I first found out I would be teaching High School, I wasn't too excited, but rather nervous. But the more I talk to her, the better I think it sounds. The kids will be more mature, they will have a higher level of English knowledge so I'll be able to communicate with them a little more, and I think they will be just overall more fun!

Now that I can see where I am (and there has been a map on the FB page showing us all where we are in Daegu) it is really becoming real. 9 more days... just 9 more days!

No comments:

Post a Comment