Monday, August 5, 2013

One Semester Down

Well the end of the semester has come and gone. Looking back, I can't believe it went so quickly. 

I finished the second grade speaking tests and they were amazing. Next semester I lose 7 second grade classes, but this also means I'll be teaching 5 new ones. I got to meet the new classes just briefly for their speaking tests and let me tell you, I am pumped! They apparently are the "science majors" of the school- I was told this means they are more driven and smarter. Well, their English levels sure are higher! I was shocked by the difference between my current second grade students and my incoming ones. Given, some of the second grade students in the first 7 classes have wonderful English, and some of the students in the last 5 classes have not so great English, but the overall level is much higher- so I'm excited about that.

Then came the desk warming while my students had self study and their finals. In Korea, they don't have tests in each class multiple times a year like we do in America. They have 2 per semester, a midterm and a final. They also take speaking, listening, reading and writing tests in English (I think just those four) once a semester. The three grades are added together for their overall grade. Then the same is done for the next semester. So essentially, they have grades based on 4 tests (with a few extra things thrown in for English) per year. So I can imagine how stressed they are, so I give them all self study time in my class (which apparently happens in a LOT of the classes) the week before mid terms or finals. Then I got to desk warm the week of finals. Did I get anything done? Actual work? Um, no. 

I can't believe that the semester is over. I can't believe that, for those people staying only 1 year, it is half over. I can't imagine having only 6 more months in this amazing country with my wonderful students. I actually really miss seeing them. I'm also going to REALLY miss some of my second grade classes that I won't have next semester, several students in particular. Hopefully they still drop by to say hello. 

Once the semester was coming to an end, I had a lot to prepare for. I had several big trips planned out, which was going to take a lot out of me. 

My summer vacation schedule was like this:

Wednesday: Cirque du Soleil show with Kaleena at 8pm 
Thursday: Leave at 3am for America, arrive at 7pm local time (taxi, 4 hour bus, 2.5 hour flight to Tokyo, 13 hour flight to Houston, 2 hour flight to Nashville, 2 hour drive to Murray, 6.5 hours worth of layovers)
Friday-Sunday: In America
Monday: Leave at 4am for Korea, arrive to my apartment Wednesday morning at 2am (2 hour flight to Houston, 13.5 hour flight to Tokyo, 2.5 hour flight to Seoul, 4 hour bus to Daegu, taxi home)
School at 8:30 Wednesday and Thursday
Friday: leave for Ansan Valley Rock Festival (7am)
Sunday: leave for Daegu (1 am, arrive at 5:30am)
School at 8:30 Monday and Tuesday
Tuesday: leave for airport right after school and fly to Jeju (1 hour flight, 1.5 hour bus to our hostel)
Sunday: leave for Daegu 7pm, arrive at midnight (1 hour flight to Busan, 3 hour bus to Daegu, taxi)
Monday-Friday: deskwarming at school 8:30 to 4:30
Friday: Leave for Seoul
Saturday: Infinite concert
Sunday: Return to Daegu
Monday: Semester 2 begins


It was a crazy schedule. I definitely learned how to sleep on planes and buses. I don't really know how I was moving, but looking back I really honestly don't think I had much jet lag (there was only one night were I was tired, but it was hot out and it was late, so I think that was just a normal tiredness). But I wouldn't change it for the world. Yes it was go go go go go for a while. Yes I had 3 trips to unpack from once I got back from Jeju, but it was worth it.... 

Now for semester 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment