Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Row Row Row Your Raft

Again, another awesome weekend! This one is definitely in my top favorites!

This weekend, Adrienne and I, along with several other friends, headed back up to the northern part of South Korea (why do we keep doing this to ourselves? Those bus rides are horrible!) for some outdoor fun. On the agenda for the weekend: paintballing and white water rafting!

We woke up SUPER early Saturday morning, which I actually liked a lot better than sleeping in... it made it easier to fall back asleep once on the bus...and headed to the pension where we had only a few minutes to change before heading straight to paintballing...

Once we arrived at the paintballing site, we had to endure an extremely long speech from a Korean ex-marine being translated (he kept getting mad at us because we were talking)... I think he didn't realize that we were there just to have fun... he wanted blood though... he really wanted us to be serious... at one point he told us we were not allowed to hit each other with the guns if we were out of bullets... no shit!?! Once we finally got dressed and had our guns in hand, we were divided up and set out on the course...

Team Blue!

The Girls

The course

I've only been paintballing once before, but it was a little different this time. We were actually in the woods, and there were gullies and ditches that you had to run to, you used trees and tall grass to hide your body, there was even a huge hill on one side that you could climb and end up attacking the other team from behind. It was actually tons of fun and I had a blast. I was really impressed with myself because I was not one of the girls that just sat in the back and hid... I ran out of ammo all 3 games, and "killed" someone each game as well. The first and last round, I was the one that ended up rushing while my team members covered and getting multiple people out, which surprised me. Though the second game my team was up the hill, rather than at the bottom, and I ended up getting stuck in some bush and couldn't get a clear shot and eventually wasted most of my bullets (though I did end up getting one or two people out). It was tons of fun and my team ended up winning all three rounds (and I didn't even get hit!).

After we were finished, we headed back to the pension and had a few minutes to change before heading to the rafting site. We divided into teams and drove the short way up the river. I was kind of nervous because I had never done rafting before, but then I kind of expected it to be slightly boring as well, thinking there wouldn't be much to the rafting course. I was wrong though! There were several times where my "family" ended up slipping and falling into the raft (thankfully not out of the raft). And MAN does rafting require you to use your muscles! Between my legs holding me in, my abs having to keep me from flailing around, and my arms having to actually row the raft, it was painful at times, but still a lot of fun! We got to swim on the more relaxed parts of the river, and they took us onto the land where there was a really cold stream that they dunked us in, the whole experience was just amazing, I can't wait to go again.

The Family



At one point in the trip I wasn't paying much attention and the instructor was talking to us and I turned and said "yes" as in "yea we are listening"... apparently he had just asked if I had WINKED at him! haha.... so from that point on, we were "boyfriend and girlfriend".... at one point he had his arm around me when we were walking, then he gave an ore to his friend who had lost one, and he told me "his girlfriend" didn't have to work anymore, and at the end we got a cute little couple picture :) It was great how everyone in the boat caught on right away and it ended up being the ongoing joke of the day... we really had a great "family" in our boat, great atmosphere and great laughs!

Me and my Boyfriend :)



That night we had a cookout, but for some reason I wasn't feeling very well, so I ended up going to bed pretty early after helping cook a little. But the next morning I felt refreshed and we all ended up making the most of our day before loading back onto the boats by heading back down to the river to hang out for a bit. Some people swam and played, while others just dipped our toes in, but it was a wonderful end to a great weekend!
Our sleeping arrangements- Korean style

Glorious Morning


Relaxing before the long trip home

Fun times with fun people


No comments:

Post a Comment