Monday, November 25, 2013

Happy Birthday to me... But I'm not any older

Here in Korea, though everyone (obviously) has their own birthdays, they don't "age" on the day of their birth. Koreans all add another year to their age on New Year's Day. Therefore, even though it was my birthday, I'm still the same age here as I was before my birthday. Now that's a birthday I can celebrate. If I leave Korea before New Year's then return to Korea after, does that mean I'll never age again? Sounds like it is worth a try.

We celebrated my birthday over several days. Wednesday, the day before my birthday, I was swept away by my friends without knowing where I was going. They took me to a bakery where you buy a cake and decorate it yourself. It was super fun. It started out looking quite professional if I do say so myself, but then we got a little excited with the goodies and it ended up looking... GREAT! Just maybe not so professional. We then headed out to the new Mexican restaurant and they treated me to dinner. After dinner, they sang happy birthday and I made a wish. I wasn't planning on sharing my wonderful looking cake, but since they DID buy it for me and DID help me decorate it, I supposed I had to so we demolished our beautiful artpiece and chowed down.





Thursday was the day of my birthday, and I had to work. BOO. I woke up and opened my huge stack of cards from my family before getting ready and going to school. Not many students knew about it at first, but word spread quickly. Miss Jane brought me a small gift and I had a few students come in to say 'Happy Birthday'. My sweet newspaper students brought me a tower of choco pies after lunch with a candle on top and sang to me (though there were a few 'da da DA da blah blah blah blah's because they forgot a few of the words in the middle- which made it even cuter) and enjoyed choco pies with me before they had to return to classes. Except one second grade boy, he forgot and came running in right after the others started leaving, brushing his teeth and saying "Sorry teacha! I forgot! Happy Birthday! So sorry!" all the while toothpaste spitting from his mouth. Needless to say, the newspaper president yelled at him for forgetting, made him go spit out his toothpaste and come back to wish me a proper 'Happy Birthday'. It was so darn cute. That evening was the first day of my school festival and Kaleena and Adrienne joined me for part of it, then Kaleena and I went to grab a simple dinner.




Friday just absolutely made my day. Miss Yang's 1st grade girls class came in after lunch with a cake, candles and a poster with little heart post its with messages on them. They sang to me and wished me happy birthday, I cried, they recorded it. It was so touching, I gave them all hugs and have read their cute little messages over and over. One girl's was in Korean, she came to me and pointed to it. "Teacha, I did Korean. You are learning, right? Can you read?" When I read the characters for the first sentence then said in English "Happy Birthday", then read the second sentence in Korean, then in English said something along the lines of "study Korean" they all broke out in applause. They were quite impressed. I also had a few other classes sing to me (in English and Korean) throughout the day. One student brought me the card that Kaleena made for me (it had pictures of us on it, so it was obviously mine) that I had left in the gym during the festival the night before, and when she went to give it to me she acted like she couldn't speak English (I know she can) and ran out the door. I followed her, asking for her to give it to me, and when I rounded a corner, she, another girl and one of my favorite boys sang to me. So cute, nice trick. That night was the festival again, which Adrienne came to, then we headed to her school's festival after.









Saturday we had decided to go to Hotel Ariana, which is a nice buffet style restaurant with a live band (that is quite good!) and unlimited beer (good, craft beer) and wine (not so good, sweet wine). We ate then headed downtown where we had a few more drinks with some of our other friends (there were several birthday people that night), then a small group of us headed to a noraebang (karaoke room) to finish off the night. The festivities even stretched to Monday, when another envelope full of more cards from family arrived.





I really have to say, this birthday was STELLAR. It will be very difficult to beat. I got to spend it with great friends and my students made me feel so loved. I already have my birthday poster hanging in my classroom. And yes, both cakes were completely eaten (oops).

No comments:

Post a Comment