Saturday, March 23, 2013

Colorful Daegu

Well it has been just under a month since I arrived in Daegu. Let me tell you, it doesn't seem like it has been that long... but I am finally getting the feel for the city and feel like I'm settle into my new home.

The first week of teaching went decently smooth. I met all of my co teachers and have since made decent connections with them. I've finally gotten a footing with teaching, though some classes still flop, but you can only do so much when students don't want to learn or are too tired to keep their eyes open and you are a brand new teacher. I've got to give myself time to get my footing. But for the most part, I think things have been going pretty well.

My room at school



My first day of teaching

My desk area

My school is amazing. Everyone is so nice and welcoming. Every few days I get a visitor bringing me something to snack on or inviting me to drink coffee with them. I have gotten pretty comfortable with going to lunch with my co teachers now. The groups of people we eat with are so nice, even if they don't speak English. But I was extremely surprised at the amount of people that DO speak English. Just yesterday I was talking with my handler, Olivia, and she informed me that her friend, Miss Shin, is an Economics teacher! I thought she was an English teacher because she has been speaking great English to me since we met at our school dinner a few weeks ago! My landlord and I have trouble sometimes, but he can usually come up with a word or two that describe what he is trying to say and everything turns out OK. Even the music teacher down the hall (who shares an office with the art teacher and they invite me for coffee and bring me snacks sometimes) speaks English. I was very surprised. I really have begun getting to know the teachers at the school and love making new friends.

My school

Olivia, who I mentioned is my handler, has been so helpful. This past Saturday she cancelled her appointments so she could take me to get a cell phone and give me a tour of downtown. We walked for HOURS. She took me to a market that is not too far from my neighborhood, and is one of the biggest markets in Korea. She has been so nice and helpful. She is always making sure that I am OK. The other day our school schedule changed and we were unable to do lunch together (I do lunch with her 4 days and with Jane, one of my co teachers, the other day) so Olivia made sure I had people to eat lunch with (Miss Shin and a few others). It was very thoughtful of her to make sure I had someone to sit with.

Then there is Jane, one of my co teachers. She is such a sweet woman. She teaches 4 of my 19 classes with me, but offered to start teaching me Korean and their customs. So on Wednesday mornings, my first period of the day is spent with her teaching me how to read and write Korean and building my vocabulary. She also has made sure that I have everything I need, emailing me changes in schedules, the school calendar, answering any questions I have, and taking me to coffee after lunch just to "chit chat". She even wants to make sure I know where to eat dinner, so she is taking me out Monday night to a new restaurant. I absolutely love this woman and hope to become great friends with her.

I've also gotten to know some great EPIK teachers too. Adrienne is literally 2 blocks from my apartment and we often see each other when walking to school in the mornings. Malia is just 10 minutes away and Kaleena is only a 20 minute bus ride or 45 minute walk from us. Kaleena lives near a university area, so she has a lot of shops and restaurants near her, as well as an awesome market. So the 4 of us girls get together frequently for dinner or drinks, shopping trips or to talk about lesson planning.

Walking the market near Kaleena's

Malia, Kaleena, Adrienne and Myself celebrating Adrienne's birthday


Downtown is about a 45 minute bus ride, even longer on the weekends, but I usually make it in at least once a week, if not more. There is some AWESOME shopping (though I've been good and not bought much). I've also made it to a few markets, as well as a trip to Costco (which is about an hour and 15 minute bus ride away). I've been sticking to buying things for the apartment for now- a couch, TV stand, drawer set, bowls, coffee maker, etc. There are still a few things I need (like a toaster oven, another table and a chair) but my apartment really is beginning to feel like home and I'm really enjoying making it my own space.

Monday market

Mystery meat

I've got some trips coming up which will be exciting. I'm going to Busan next weekend for Holi Fest with a large group of people and the next weekend to Jinhae to a cherry blossom festival. Also, a few of my friends and I are going to see PSY IN CONCERT!!! Very excited about that... I've got a few other things going on, but nothing has been set in stone other than those.

Celebrating getting a cell phone with a cream and blueberry filled waffle

I'm very excited about the cherry blossoms... this is the first one I saw, right outside of my school!

I'm also looking forward to sharing some other random experiences with you. Things can get quite entertaining here... trying to buy a couch, getting a taxi home and ordering off a menu that you can't read just really makes you laugh. Quick little stories about those to follow soon.... trying to catch up on the blogging thing soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment